Saturday, March 22, 2014

Feeling real groggy at times? Sinus problems? Stomach problems? Look what I found out!

I couldn't believe what I found out about this med and have to share it with you all.  First, some background though.  I've been having a LOT of trouble with my sinuses sine last November. I've had sinus problems all my life, but this was worse then anything I'd had before and I couldn't understand why.  I'd recently finished taking 20 days worth of antibiotics to try and clear up what even the doctors assumed was a sinus infection as they didn't want it to go into my lungs.  The antibiotics really messed up my stomach which wasn't the greatest anyway.  Well, after I stopped taking the antibiotics, I figured my tummy would start to get better, and it did, but some days it would get really bad again instead of steadily improving like it should have.  I finally decided that I'd better check my meds because something had to be causing this problem with my stomach.  

The only one I'd been taking recently that I normally don't, was Ambien (zolpidem).  It's a sleeping pill and I was taking it because due to all the storms here I'd been having to take morphine late in the day and that keeps me from going to sleep at night.

Well, lo and behold, it was the Ambien! I won't take it now, no matter what and my stomach is finally improving. But that's not all I discovered about it.  Look at this:

Common zolpidem side effects may include:
  • daytime drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, feeling "drugged" or light-headed;
  • tired feeling, loss of coordination;
  • stuffy nose, dry mouth, nose or throat irritation;
  • nausea, constipation, diarrhea, upset stomach; or
  • headache, muscle pain.
 more:
http://www.drugs.com/zolpidem.html 
  • Drowsiness
  • headache
  • muscle aches
  • sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
  • stuffy or runny nose
  • Abdominal or stomach discomfort
  • acid or sour stomach
  • back pain
  • being forgetful
  • belching
  • body aches or pain
  • congestion
  • difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
  •  heartburn
  •  indigestion
  •  unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness
  • loss of memory
  • muscle pain or stiffness
 more:
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/zolpidem-side-effects.html

I was shocked!  Every single symptom I've been having problems with over the last several months is listed there and I know I've heard some of you say you had some of the same symptoms too!  It looks as though all the sinus problems I've been having and all the stomach problems, as well as the grogginess were being caused by this medication!  

Those are also all symptoms of RA, and while I know I did in fact have a flare up, it just kept getting worse instead of better.  Now I know why, it's because I kept taking that stupid Ambien.  Well at this point, I'd rather not sleep then deal with all those problems!  It's been only 3 days since I stopped taking the Ambien and I feel MUCH better already. I'm in pain, yes, but then I've been in pain for 14 years so I didn't expect that to stop as nice as it would be lol, but my stomach is finally improving, and yesterday for the first time in months, I didn't feel like I had to take a mucinex for my sinuses and don't feel I need one today either.  Nor have I had a headache since I stopped taking it, whereas before I was constantly getting them. My memory has even improved in the short time I've been off it.  For the first time in ages I'd begun taking a stool softener daily due to constipation because that had gotten worse then it's ever been, even though I also have IBS.  I haven't stopped taking them yet, but intend to do so soon as I have a feeling that the worsening of the constipation I've been experiencing has also been caused by the Ambien. 

I just had to let you all know about this in case any of you are also taking Ambien (zolpidem) or even a different prescription sleeping aid.  If you're not taking ambien but are taking a different one, I strongly suggest you look up the side effects like I did, on Drugs.com and check out both the main page about the drug and then at the end of the list of side effects on that page, click on the link that takes you to a more detailed listing of them and check that one too.  You might just find that it's very similar if not identical to Ambien's list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on this so we can encourage and share with each other..